Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Red Headed WoodPESTER


I have a PEST in my backyard feeder area. More about him later.................




005
This is the RED verbena plant I bought today. I love verbena (especially when it's red)


021
I hung it up under my umbrella in the back using a long "S" hook.


007
This is strange, but my mum from the fall decided it wanted to bloom, so I have been nuturing it, too.
See all those blooms ready to burst out?

014
Now, back to the woodpecker. Can you find him? He's in the pine tree.

014 - Copy
He's on the trunk on the right side about middle of the picture.  He's watching me watch him. :)


016
At first, I was thrilled to see a woodpecker in my yard. But then, he started standing guard, and running off all the other birds.  But that's not the worst.



015
The worst part is that he PECKS on my metal gutter. The first time I heard it, I didn't know what in the world could be making that noise, but it was him.
After looking it up on the net, I found that he may be doing it to attract a mate. But I don't want him damaging my gutter. Also, did you know that they are on the endangered list?

Thanks for stopping by, and I am joining Susan for "Outdoor Wednesday" and
Sue for "Rednesday.  Stop by their blogs for more fun pics.

4 comments:

Loui♥ said...

D~
Have you called the County Extension agent for advice on REMOVING the pest LEGALLY?
Good Luck!
Loui♥

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh my friend has two woodpeckers in her yard and they are driving her crazy. She said that she knows the neighbors think she is crazy because she keeps throwing things at them. lol! Funny picture for sure. I also love red Verbena. It looks lovely hanging from your umbrella.
Hugs,
Jann

Kathy said...

My husband doesn't like them either. They peck on the house - claiming their territory and attempting to attract mates. We surely have enough trees to attract them! Love red - your umbrella and flowers are fabulous!
Have a great weekend,
Kathy

Debbie said...

Oh my goodness, I think that THAT is what I've been hearing. We have a woodpecker around here too, and I keep hearing this odd noise, I'll be I have a gutter pecker too!