Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My Ugly Crepe Myrtle

I love Crepe Myrtles. This is how a crepe myrtle is SUPPOSED to look! WARNING: The following picture is frightening. :O

Now here is MY crepe myrtle! Agggggh! Ugly isn't it? When I bought this house back in February, the first thing I noticed in the real estate picture was these trees in front of the house. I called them "hand" trees, because that's what they are shaped like to me. hehehehe


Again...............beautiful crepe myrtle.........................


Ugly crepe myrtle.


Don't they look like "hands" to you, too? I did some research, and it seems my trees have been subjected to what is called "crepe murder". In other words, they have been pruned way down to the bare minimum. Lots of people do it, it seems. Anyway, one way to solve the problem is to cut the tree down to the ground and start all over, and that's what I plan to do.
Any advice? or comments?





7 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Lots of crepe myrtles around here and I have seen one extreme to the other. I do know there is a certain time of the year to prune and certain way to cut it back. What that is, I am not sure.
Glenda

Eileen said...

Oh, I can understand you wanting to cut them down if you love the full, lush look of what your trees are supposed to look like.
But to me, your trees look perfect! I love all the green with just a little pop of color here and there. They look so unique! They actually remind me of beautiful, delicate, little palm trees.

Well, best of luck on whatever you decide to do!
Do what makes your heart happy!
All the best,
Eileen

Laurie said...

Oh you had me worried there for a moment ~ I thought you thought crepe myrtle were ugly! We have them all over down here, and the sad part is many people cut them down to nothing more than a bush.
I'm not sure when they are supposed to be cut back either, but really yours do not look so bad and the color is gorgeous!

Rue said...

Ugh. I hate it when people trim their trees so much! Maybe if you shaped them they will come back like they're supposed to.

rue

nikkicrumpet said...

I actually think your trees are pretty! They still have beautiful flowers...and hey not all of us can be lush and perfect...some of us are beautiful looking a bit straggly lol. At least that's what I tell myself every morning when I look in the mirror!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I am so excited to meet you! I have been looking through your blog posts and you have a wonderful blog. I so look forward to getting to know you better. Thank you so much for becoming a follower, otherwise I may never have found you. I hope you have a wonderful day! Twyla

Dixie said...

All your trees need is a little prunning for a couple of years and they'll be just fine... don't cut them down... they're just babies... give them time to grow!