Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My Good Housekeeping Print/Drawing




Hello, Bloggy Friends! I have always loved this drawing that was the cover for a 1931 issue of Good Housekeeping. (I found a copy of the actual magazine on Ebay)








I decided I wanted a copy of this print. I found it in one of my mail order catalogs, but WOW! They wanted $159.95 for it........................SO, I decided I'd draw my own............




And here it is. Not perfect, but it's good enough for me and my kitchen. :)




Closeup. I did it in watercolor.




Here's the side by side view. Can you spot the differences in them?



I did not draw the cookie cutter, and the blue bowl in my picture. And I could have done a better job on shaping the big bowl. hehehehehe. Also, I added cherries to the can behind the green cannister, and I made mine yellow.






I am going to have mine matted and framed just like the mail order print, and I'm going to hang it here in my kitchen.







Oh, there's another artist in the family. My seven year old granddaughter drew this for me, so I water colored it, and it greets me first thing every morning when I come into the kitchen to make my coffee. :)




PLEASE JOIN SUE FOR "REDNESDAY" OVER AT HER BLOG "IT'S A VERY CHERRY WORLD". Thanks, Sue!



And thank you for dropping by. I loved having you, as always!








14 comments:

Lynn said...

Beautiful, you did a great job! These are the things family treasures are made of-enjoy!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love that print and I think you did a great job!!

Love Of Quilts said...

You did it...looks as good as the other one to me...its going to look really good framed. Trish

Dandelion and Daisy said...

I see where the Granddaughter gets here artistic skills, she has a very talented Grandmother. I love the coffee cup, kids are such great natural artists, I love the idea of adding watercolor to it. Wonderful finishing touches for your room.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Love the print and really love your drawing! Just wonderful!!

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi D... WOW!!! You did a fantastic job!! I would never want the other print if I could paint like you!! You even made it your own... LOVE IT! Your Granddaughter is going to be a chip off the block!
Bella

Meadowsweet Cottage said...

I love your version--especially the cherries. You can never have too many cherries :)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Wow~ You did a really good job!
I wish I could draw and paint like that.
And I love your bright and cheery kitchen and your granddaughter is artistic just like you!
Cindy

Amy said...

You're so talented and blessed! You did a fantastic job. How great to see a picture and then paint it to your own desires! Very nice!!!

Beansieleigh said...

Hi D! LOVED your post today, and just already KNOW this will be the sweetest post of the day! LOVE your remake of the GH magazine cover! You did a beautiful job of it! I used to LOVE to sketch, but never learned to watercolor, so I'm in awe of your work!.. But then there's that sweet picture from your granddaughter, and it steals my heart! LOVE that too!.. Read back a bit, and I love all the red white and blues! Your post about your Dad was beautiful! I'm now a follower!.. Thank you so much for stopping by my place, and hope you're enjoying this gorgeous summer day! ~tina

trish said...

Beautifully done! :o)
Last Christmas my husband purchased that print for me, through art dot com. There are a number of those prints and they are not bad in price. I was able to find a large frame at a thrift store and I painted it white. :o)
I love your newest art addition, what a special picture from your granddaughter. :o)
Have a nice day.
Sincerely ~ Tricia

Angela said...

You are one talented amazing woman. I love what you did..WOW.

http://spindlecottage.blogspot.com/ said...

This is just too coooool!!!!! LOVE IT ! LOVE THE granddaughter's as well!

BugnLVoe said...

You did a GREAT job!!! You should make copies and sell them on etsy.

XOXO